Wednesday 23 January 2013

LEJOG 2014

So...I have just joined a group of women from across the UK who are going to cycle Lands End John O'Groats next summer, and we are hoping to raise £50K for Breast Cancer Care.  So, Sports Nutrition is now more important to me than ever as I want to build up a really good base of fitness.  I have wanted to do this for some time, and as the kids get older this seems a good time to do it!

It has been a tough week - the snow has stopped most of my outdoor training, and caused the 210km Audax I was due to do last week to be postponed. It has been rescheduled for this Saturday - fingers crossed - because I want to put the advice Tim and James from SiS have given me into practice! More on that in a mo.  I have done some spinning bike sessions and have even been for a run (yep - me running!) which was fine whilst I was doing it but ouch...my muscles are not used to it and although I only did 5 km I haven't been able to walk since!  Going downstairs 2 days later is a nightmare!

Anyway, I digress!  I wanted some more advice on what to eat before, during and after my long ride so I asked Tim by email, and spoke to Dr James Morton last week.  This is what I am to do...

Day before - ( I am looking forward to this one!)

Have 500g of carbohydrate between lunch and dinner. and another meal late in the day or add some carbohydrate to my REGO night. 

On the day - 
In the morning (its an early start) a combination of GO Bar and a protein bar with several cups of coffee
During the ride  2 bottles of GO Energy with a GO hydro tab for some electrolytes and some GO Gels - 1 per hour with caffeine gels for the last 2-3.  Aim for a total of 60-80g of carbohydrate per hour of carbohydrate from everything.
After take REGO Rapid Recovery. Have some GO electrolyte or GO Hydro for the drive home and then REGO night.

So, thats what I will be doing if the ride goes ahead on Saturday  - I may substitute some gels for Go Energy bars or REGO protein bars (which SiS are discontinuing which I think is a huge shame because I love them) which was some advice Dr James gave.  I will let you know how it goes...

Everything else is going OK - the Omega 3 has become easier to take now I am used to it, and I bought some CLA to try - this is supposed to help with fat burning, so its worth a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment